It was 1913 when J D Pike, Sr. was asked by Henry Pike, a cousin, to join him in selling automobiles at Goldsboro Motor Transport. At the tender age of 15, David Pike sold his first car and began a tradition which has lasted through three generations.
David Pike worked and invested in Goldsboro Motor Transport until the “Crash of 29″ forced the company out of business. David’s reputation of dedication and fairness lead him to Raleigh, NC where he continued to sell cars. In 1933 he was approached by friends and investors who offered him a Chrysler franchise if he would return to Goldsboro.
Pike Motor Company began operations in the old A&P building on the northern end of Center Street (currently the location of the City Hall Annex).
New car business was thriving until the outbreak of World War II. Automobile manufacturers shifted from making personal automobiles to supporting the war effort. Mr. Pike, being the shrewd businessman that he was, was prepared to shift the majority of his business to selling “experienced cars” until the end of the war.
J D Pike, Jr. joined his father in the early 1940’s. He was instrumental in moving Pike Motor company to its present location behind the traffic circle on Center Street. Together, they continued to provide the citizens of Goldsboro with quality cars, excellence in service and customer satisfaction.
The tradition continued in 1974 when J D Pike III (Jim) returned home from the Army and joined his grandfather and father. It was an exceptional experience with three generations actively working together. JD Pike Sr. continued to be aggressively and actively involved in Pike Motor Company until his passing in 1974.
Another change for Pike Motor Company occurred in 1984. The Chrysler franchise was sold and J D Pike Jr. retired to a world of family and golf. Jim continues to carry on the tradition of offering quality used cars and consignment sales at the same location his father and grandfather opened over 50 years ago.